TOGETHER WE ARE MORE
COOPERATION PROJECT TO PREVENT SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC EXCLUSION
Implementation period: 24 months (May 2015 – April 2017)
Total Project Value (together with the PLUS application): 1.279.461 RON, out of which 90% non-reimbursable grant (SEE grant and public co-financing) and 10% private co-financing
Since 2001, our Foundation has been working alongside local schools and City Halls to help children from families in need to benefit from optimal conditions for their harmonious development. In its 15 years of existence it was realized that in order to help these families it is crucial to cooperate with other actors from the public and private sphere, who work in different fields: social, educational, medical, and cultural. Even though the Foundation held a number of bilateral partnerships with public institutions, some of them were mostly formal, and very punctual, meaning that they aimed to resolve very specific problems.
In these conditions the idea- to create a network in which to involve all the actors who are interested in the fate of these families and who are willing to make efforts to improve their situation- seemed to be a successful solution to create a real and visible impact on the long term.
Therefore our project aims to complete the already realized initiatives, bringing the TOGETHER WE ARE MORE network as an innovation, focusing on bringing together all the factors interested in the inclusion of the Roma vulnerable groups and in the same time bringing accountability into their actions so that the intervention can be realized in a coherent and sustainable way.
The project’s purpose
To develop initiatives in 16 rural and urban communities in Cluj and Bihor counties to reduce social and economic disparities, improve measures to combat discrimination of Roma and to prevent their social and economic exclusion. These initiatives are taken by the Diakonia Christian Foundation and applied through their cooperation with local and county authorities, schools and other stakeholders from the public and private sphere.
The project’s objectives
- A) Creating the TOGETHER WE ARE MORE network in order to prevent social and economical exclusion of the vulnerable groups of Roma ethnicity, attracting min. 20 relevant public and private stakeholders in Cluj and Bihor counties interested in looking for solutions to this problem
- B) Elaborating an action plan for each one of the 16 communities, which aims to prevent and combat social and economic exclusion of the Roma vulnerable groups. This will be achieved by organizing workshops and study visits between experts and decision makers and by developing and testing new tools and methodologies for integration.
- C) Increasing the involved actors’ capacity to provide public services for the Roma vulnerable groups in the 16 communities. In this respect around a hundred decision makers and experts who work with vulnerable groups will be trained in fields such as anti-discrimination, conflict management, stress management etc. They will also participate in organizing an anti-discrimination campaign which will take place in all 16 locations.
Main target group:
- Decision makers from the public sphere (mayors, local councilors, school principals, county councilors, directors of social welfare departments and other public institutions)
- Specialists from the public sphere offering services for vulnerable groups ( social workers, psychologists, school mediators, health mediators, teachers, public servants , etc. )
- Decision makers from the private sphere (directors of foundations and associations providing services for vulnerable groups, rural family doctors, priests, etc.)
- Experts from the private sphere who offer services for vulnerable groups (social workers, psychologists, teachers, child cares, nurses, caretakers of the sick/elderly, volunteers, etc. )
Total number of estimated main target group: 100 people (with the PLUS application)
Secondary target group:
- Chidren, youth and parents from families with different degrees of vulnerability, who, due to this, have problems with social and economic integration. These people belong to one of the 16 selected communities from Cluj and Bihor counties.
Total number of estimated secondary target group: 240 people (with the PLUS application)
Estimated total number of beneficiaries (main target group and secondary target group) : 340